The Family

The Family
Spring at Biltmore

Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm Finally Home!

Greetings! My name is Jacob. Mommy and Daddy are letting me write my first blog!
I have so much to tell you. First, I know I came 3 weeks early, but I didn't want Daddy to start working. That's why I made my debut on Tuesday, July 24, (Daddy's alleged first day of call).

I had not planned on arriving this early, so Mommy was very surprised when her water broke early Tuesday morning. Boy, did I catch my parents off guard! They were good sports though, and quickly accepted the fact that I was on my way. Mommy was put on Pitocin while Daddy ran home to pack our bags.

I labored for 14 hours, but Mommy got an infection and a fever about 11 hours into the day. She was put on antibiotics. My heart rate was elevated and I scared my poor Daddy a little, but everything was ok.

I did forget one important instruction while I was laboring. APPARENTLY, I fell into the fire, NO WAIT, that was my buddy Eric. APPARENTLY, I was supposed to be born face down (I think that was going to be covered during week 38, but like I said, I was early). I was confused and sustained much swelling and many bruises due to my poor decision...Mommy had it pretty rough too.

Even so, I came into this world crying nice and loud. I weighed 7 lbs even and was 19 and 3/4 inches. I was born at 9:30pm here in Japan. Since Mommy had an infection, so did I. I was put onto antibiotics for my first 48 hours, which is why it looks like I have a cast on my arm. That was just my IV!
Mommy, Daddy, and I all got to share a room at the hospital. We had tons of fun, and heaven knows my parents would NOT put that darn camera away.
We were going to come home yesterday, but I also missed another important point (which was likely scheduled during week 39). APPARENTLY, babies are supposed to poop before they are allowed to leave the hospital. Seeing that I was not told this info until last minute, I made everyone nervously wait for me to pass the oh-so gross meconium plug. I am happy to report that I performed my duties to the satisfaction of my pediatrician. I was able to take my parents home at 5:00pm Friday, July 27.

One last funny note, APPARENTLY, all of my stuff that my Mommy and Daddy packed for me got lost in a warehouse at Travis AFB, California. Currently, there is no firm ETA on the delivery of my things. So, my sweet Daddy borrowed a car seat from the Misawa Base Family Resource Center. Unfortunately, all they had was an infant-toddler car seat. So....it's hard to find me when I'm sitting in the car. Mommy and Daddy keep laughing when they see this picture.
Well, we're home now and getting settled as best we can with loaner furniture and the things my parents could bring on the airplane. But as my Daddy learned in ROTC, "Flexibility is the key to air power"...and clearly to having a baby too! The 3 of us are going to be just fine. Good talking to you all, and I can't wait to meet you soon. Gotta run, it's time to eat, but check out my portfolio on Snapfish. (Email my Mom and Dad if you didn't get the link)
Love,
Jacob Robert Massengill
(they call me 'One Eye Jake')

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWW he is soooooo adorable!!!!!!!! You all look great!!!!!!

I can't wait for you to come to the states in the fall!!!

Love you all so very much!!!

Aunt B and Uncle J

Anonymous said...

"One Eye Jake" I love it!! You know that nickname is gonna stick! He's a gorgeous little guy and I'm so happy for all of you. Best of luck!

Eric Hartloff

Anonymous said...

My love to all of you.

Wendy said...

Jacob- boy did you make for an exciting arrival for your parents. What lucky guy you are to have the parents you do! Your a trooper. Tell your mommy (and daddy) great job on a baeutiful baby! We hope to be able to meet you some day. Can't wait to see more pictures of you. Let your mommy and daddy get some sleep every once in a while, okay??

Wendy said...

Oh yeah, I was just curious, did the Nango Jazz Fest make you want to come out and dance?? You wanted in on the action. I just know it!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Massengill Family!!!
Love the special message from Jake-he has a great sense of humor already! I'm so happy for all of you - sounds like you're already experiencing the unpredictability of childrens behavior! Have fun and come see us soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Massengill Clan, Is it possible Jacob is even cuter than those first pic's? WoW what a sweetie. He is the official talk of Arhaus. Take Care

Anonymous said...

Hi Jacob:
You be sure to take care of your parents and let them get some rest. In your one picture your hand looked like you were practicing the grip to hold a golf club! Will be waiting to see more letters from you. Can't wait to hold you. Give Mommy and Daddy a kiss for us.
Grandpa M